Friday, June 7, 2013

Gallery 1988 Show: Inherit the Wind


This piece is based on Inherit the Wind, one of my favorite movies of all time. I could go on all day listing quotes from the film and explaining why I love it, but I'll spare you all that and offer a shorter explanation for those who haven't seen it: It's based on the famous 1925 "Scopes Monkey trial" where a high school teacher was arrested for trying to teach the theory of evolution to his class. The movie only draws inspiration from the real-life events, and all the characters and scenarios are fictionalized. The bottom line of the story is that neither religion nor science is on trial, but rather the right to think (though simplifying the message this much is a disservice to this amazing piece of cinema; go watch it!) Thinking for yourself and making up your own mind about things is a value that is very important to me, hence why I love the movie and its clever messages so much.

As far as the style of the piece, main character Bert Cates is played by actor Dick York, who you may remember from the TV series Bewitched. That show had an animated intro where its stars were shown as cartoon caricatures, so I thought it would be fun to draw York as he appeared in that intro, and then use the same style for the rest of the piece as well.

My show is up through June 22, so if you are in the LA area please stop by Gallery 1988 East! You can purchase prints of all the pieces at the Gallery's online store.


19 comments:

สายรุ้ง said...

Your blog is too much amazing. I have found with ease what I was looking. Moreover, the content quality is awesome. Thanks for the nudge!บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

Iris said...

I love visiting sites in my free time. I have visited many sites but did not find any site more efficient than yours. Thanks for the nudge!เว็บสล็อต

Iris said...

Your blog has piqued a lot of real interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting. I appreciate your efforts very much.เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

Iris said...

What a sensational blog! This blog is too much amazing in all aspects. Especially, it looks awesome and the content available on it is utmost qualitative.เว็บ ตรง

ampika said...

Lots of many thanks for The nice site. It were definitely advantageous for me. I am delighted I found out this weblog. Many thanks for sharing with us,I too normally understand anything new from a short article.

suwichada said...

This may be incredibly instructional info and composed nicely for virtually any change. It certainly is amazing to look at that many people even now understand how to write a high quality submit.!สล็อตวอเลท

spridaxakhrkul said...

This educational report features The sunshine by which we can certainly notice the reality. This is very superb just one and supplies indepth facts. Thanks for this awesome posting.สล็อตแตกง่าย

Suthida said...

Numerous many thanks for publishing this facts. I just opt to Permit you to definitely are conscious that I just take a look at your web site And that i come upon it genuinely notice-grabbing and educational. I am struggling to keep out to look at tons of your posts.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

suchawdixudmsek said...

I can’t believe that concentrating extended ample to research; much less produce this type of post. You’ve outdone on your own using this type of materials indisputably. It is among the best contents.สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

thadawrwngss said...

I just motivation to allow you to acknowledge which i just consider your Site And that i find it quite awareness-grabbing and enlightening..บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

cirwanichyl said...

I really thanks for your pricey information on this exceptional subject and sit up For added great posts. Many thanks a complete ton for encountering this all-natural beauty write-up with me. I am appreciating it a terrific offer! On the lookout ahead to a special superior compose-up. Superb luck for the author! All the best!สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

lakvisa356 said...

I'm tremendously delighted When utilizing the contents you've outlined. I ideal to thank you for this terrific putting up.บาคาร่าวอเลท

Rida said...

I actually liked studying by way of your Website. It were pretty nicely authored and easy to understand. Rather than other weblogs I have examine which might be seriously not that excellent.Thanks alot!สล็อตทรูวอเลท

Rada said...

I have look at a few of the written content on your internet site now, and I in fact like your kind of operating a weblog. I included it to my favorites Web-site Web page checklist and will be examining again once again soon. Be sure to look at my Website Furthermore and let me know really effectively Anything you imagine that.สล็อตแตกง่าย

Mraya said...

Thanks a great deal for sharing this marvelous Web-site.Very inspiring and practical way much too.Hope you go on to share a lot more of the Thoughts.I will certainly like to search.เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

pkeiyrtiskul said...

Thank you for aiding Adult males and ladies get the data they have to have. Great stuff as regular. Keep up The good perform!!!เว็บตรงสล็อต

phawdimithxng said...

I found your this post while trying to find aspects about Site-joined exploration ... It is a great submit .. retain submitting and updating details.เว็บ ตรง

phiryachayceriy65 said...

Thanks for this amazing set up, i come upon it really enjoyable and really perfectly considered out and place alongside one another. I look ahead to studying your operate Quicker or later.เกมสล็อต

phimphaqq55 said...

I just these days arrived on your site and are finding out together. I considered I might depart my initially comment. I don’t know really effectively what to state besides that I've savored seeking via.สล็อต เว็บ ตรง