Monday, June 13, 2011

StreetWorks 2011


For the last three years I've participated in the StreetWorks art project organized by East End Main Street. This year's project is the same as the last: local artists have been asked to create designs that will be transferred to bricks, which will then be installed on the east end of Charleston. I chose to do a piece celebrating the Vandalia gathering, an annual celebration of bluegrass music and West Virginian culture that's held on the state capital grounds. I absolutely love bluegrass music, and despite the stereotypes you may have heard about this area it's not as common as you'd think for people my age to like bluegrass, most like the same music that's currently popular in the rest of the country. I tend to think bluegrass requires a little more talent and spirit than a lot of music that's popular today, but that's just my opinion!

Sort of like last year's piece I used a contrast of cityscape and mountains, though this time I included actual Charleston buildings. Also I assume that like last year the brick design will be reduced to one color before it is transferred, so I made a black and white version for that purpose, hence all the halftones and things I used. That way I can still get a wide range of values from a design that's entirely one color.


The original pieces will be auctioned off this weekend, so if you're in the area you should come by! All the info is on the flyer above which you can click for a bigger view.


No comments: