Monday, May 10, 2010

Level Magazine Interview



Last week I was interviewed as part of a multi-artist series for Swedish gaming magazine Level. Every month they feature artwork they've discovered online that fits into a specific theme. It just so happens that Mario is the theme they're working on now.

So here is my interview. I went back and forth on posting this but I figure the end result will probably be translated into Swedish anyway, and I would imagine it's possible that some or all of the questions won't make it to the final cut:

  1. Your name?
    Glen Brogan

  2. Where do you live?
    Huntington, WV USA

  3. Your age?
    25

  4. Why do you make game related art?
    I'm a big classic video game enthusiast. I started doing video game art for fun, but now I actually make money off of it by doing T-shirt designs and art prints, so that's an added bonus.

  5. Can you explain the thoughts behind your artwork?
    Most of the time I like to take something video game related and put kind of a different spin on it, maybe make people think about it in a different way. One thing I really like to do is take something that seems normal in a video game and point out how odd it would be if it were real. For example, it's really funny to me how in Zelda games you can just walk into a stranger's house and smash all their pottery. The person just keeps standing there and smiling at you, but think about if you did that in real life.

  6. Where do find the inspiration for your work?
    Mostly my love for the aesthetic of classic video games is what inspires me to make video game related art. I particularly love the drawings in old game manuals and the physical design of the old consoles.

  7. What have the Mario games meant to you as a gamer and artist?
    The Mario games have been a huge influence on me as an artist and just on my life in general. I know that might sound silly, but to me Mario represents childhood. Some of the best memories of my life are sitting around with friends playing NES when I was a kid. It was a time when I didn't have a care in the world and no responsibilities.

  8. Your favorite game?
    That's a tough one. The game that I have replayed the most and have the most memories of is probably Super Mario World. I can still remember seeing it for the first time and being blown away by the graphics. It was an amazing experience to the six-year-old me.



No comments: