Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mario Cart



Autumn Society members were invited to create original pieces of artwork out of old Atari cartridges and donate them to Too Many Games, a gaming convention in eastern Pennsylvania. My understanding is that the pieces will be featured in a show, then given away as prizes at the convention. I thought this was a pretty cool idea and right up my ally, so I had to give it a shot. I decided to turn my cart into Mario as he appeared in the game Mario Bros. Not Super Mario Bros, but rather the first "bros" game which featured arcade style action of Mario and Luigi bopping turtles and crabs that came out of pipes. In the early days Mario seemed to get drastically redesigned for every new game he was in, but this version was always my favorite of his retro looks. Plus Mario Bros was actually ported to the Atari 2600, so it seemed appropriate.

I tried to take a bunch of fun pictures since I knew I'd never see the little guy again:






And here are some progress photos:








I really wish I could make it to the convention because it looks like a blast, but on my current schedule a weekend that involves 14 hours of driving doesn't sound like a very welcome break. I do hope Mario finds a good home.


No comments: