Friday, June 7, 2013

Gallery 1988 Show: Inherit the Wind


This piece is based on Inherit the Wind, one of my favorite movies of all time. I could go on all day listing quotes from the film and explaining why I love it, but I'll spare you all that and offer a shorter explanation for those who haven't seen it: It's based on the famous 1925 "Scopes Monkey trial" where a high school teacher was arrested for trying to teach the theory of evolution to his class. The movie only draws inspiration from the real-life events, and all the characters and scenarios are fictionalized. The bottom line of the story is that neither religion nor science is on trial, but rather the right to think (though simplifying the message this much is a disservice to this amazing piece of cinema; go watch it!) Thinking for yourself and making up your own mind about things is a value that is very important to me, hence why I love the movie and its clever messages so much.

As far as the style of the piece, main character Bert Cates is played by actor Dick York, who you may remember from the TV series Bewitched. That show had an animated intro where its stars were shown as cartoon caricatures, so I thought it would be fun to draw York as he appeared in that intro, and then use the same style for the rest of the piece as well.

My show is up through June 22, so if you are in the LA area please stop by Gallery 1988 East! You can purchase prints of all the pieces at the Gallery's online store.


No comments: