Friday, March 16, 2012

Mega Man


Huh, I wonder where the creator of today's TeeFury shirt could have possibly gotten this idea from?

It's so funny to me that I created something that people are actually doing parodies of. 

EDIT: I've gotten some increased views on this post so I just wanted to point out that I have no hard feelings whatsoever about this design, I just thought it was something interesting to post about. A few people have told me that it is just a coincidence and I have no reason not to believe them. The thing that made me think otherwise was that, when compared to Mario in my piece, the Mega Man seen here is in the same pose, placed exactly the same in the drawing, and also in his underwear. I believe that the overall idea of a video game character looking in his closet is a simple one and I'm sure plenty of people have had it, but that same idea coupled with these visual similarities are what lead me to believe that my design may have been an influence here, even if it was only on a subconscious level. I know I've included things in my art and later realized that I've actually seen it somewhere else, and I think most artists have had a similar experience at some point.

Bu this leads into something I'd like to bring up: I make it a point not to be stingy with my work because I'm making it for people to see and enjoy. I hate when I visit an artist's website and they have image saving disabled, or a giant, all-encompassing watermark right through the middle of the drawing. I mean I don't want anybody to claim my work as their own or sell it for profit without my permission, but I think the vast majority of people have no such plans. I am very thankful for every single person who takes time to look at my drawings, and I am especially thankful if I somehow manage to inspire somebody with something I've done.






8 comments:

GOGOPEDRO said...

That's pretty wild dude. But, they do say that imitation is a form of flattery right?

I'll also say that I liked your treatment a better, Great colors.

P

Reggie White Jr. said...

When I saw that picture, I immediately thought of the piece you did with Mario. Nice that people are loving your work so much. =)

Megan said...

I don't think it's crazy to believe that the other artist had the idea separate from you; I can easily see how someone else could come up with that concept.

Everyone always seems to assume the worst when someone else has an idea similar to theirs. I'd imagine that most of the time, it's just coincidence. I like to assume that the majority of people out there aren't douchebags. :D

TEEvsTEE said...

Just stopped by to verify that the artist had his piece done before being made aware of yours. Our artist group encouraged him to go forward with it since the treatment was different enough. It genuinely was just a coincidence ;)

Nik Holmes said...

I think the easiest way by far to decide if you're looking at coincidence or heavy handed 'homage' is to check out the artists other work. If they have a portfolio of ill conceived ideas and sub standard scrawlings, chances are they've found 'inspiration' in your work. If however they have a selection of equally fantastic concepts and ideas, and the quality of work is flawless you have to question why they would lift so readily from a fellow creative. Micheal Myers, the creator of this tee design, falls firmly into the latter category and as such I'd be very wary of the accusations posted here.

Unknown said...

I appreciate all the people who have come and posted on my behalf. I did come up with the Megaman idea on my own (as far as I can remember. I web browse in my sleep, so there's no telling what I could have seen during one of those spells) , I was not aware of your Mario design. You obviously have amazing talent and I apologize if you were under the impression your concept was ripped off. Keep making amazing art, I promise I won't steal your ideas!

Michael

Glen said...

I never felt like I was being ripped off at all. I tried to clarify that but for some reason that seems to be making people think that I DO feel ripped off? That's a bit confusing to me, I was trying to say the opposite, haha.

My last paragraph was meant to emphasize that if someone were to be inspired by my work I would not feel ripped off, I would think it was a good thing. I just meant this as a statement and not as a backhanded comment or anything like that, so if it was taken that way by anybody I really apologize.

As I stated I have no reason to believe it is not a coincidence, and I certainly don't mean any ill will whatsoever towards Michael or anybody else. I do see how the existence of this post with my original observations could be taken as a bad thing, so I have no problem taking it down, posting some sort of correction, or anything like that.

From Michael's comment I think he feels the same way I do, so if he and I need to post photos of ourselves wearing each others shirts to clear the air I'd be all for that, haha.

Unknown said...

You can leave the post up if you'd like, it doesn't bother me. I think there was probably more misunderstanding than anything. YES your design was created first. YES my design has a very VERY similar layout and them. NO, I was not aware of your piece when I made mine. That is all. I appreciate you responding to this, Glen.

On to the next big thing! And for cryin' out loud, does anyone else find those word/image verification things almost impossible to get on the first try?